From the famous former Liberty furniture factory, to two of the buildings designed by Ernesto Basile. When the greatness of the Florio family, in the Palermitan Belle Epoque, made Sicily the center of Europe Route: Former Ducrot Sheds (today Cantieri Culturali della Zisa), Villino Florio (including visit), Villino Ida Basile (external stage) Duration about 3 hours – cost € 15 (children 5 / 10 years € 10 )
To participate in the event it is necessary to purchase tickets in advance – terradamare.org/tour-palermo-liberty
Info: 320. 7672134 – 347. 8948459 – email@example.com From the famous former Liberty furniture factory, to two of the buildings designed by Ernesto Basile. When the greatness of the Florio family, in the Belle époque of Palermo, made Sicily the center of Europe
The itinerary will begin with a reading on the revolutions of the Cultural Cantieri alla Zisa , where it was built, behind the famous Castello della Zisa , a structure to house 10 industrial warehouses for the prestigious Ducrot company, manufacturer of Liberty furniture. Inside, the most beautiful Art Nouveau furniture in Europe was made, designed by Ernesto Basile.
The rise of the company is certainly to be connected also by the good relations with the Florio family, personalities who have made Sicily immense both from an artistic point of view but also from an economic point of view.
A few steps away is the Villino Florio all’Olivuzza , a building immersed in a splendid garden, between modern buildings. It was commissioned by the wealthy Florio family to the architect Ernesto Basile (1857 – 1932) and made between 1899 and 1902.
The Basile in this building, insert original decorative elements, from the Romanesque columns to lively Baroque surfaces to the cylindrical turrets that refer to French castles. In the years’ 60 an arson attack damaged a large part of the interior , furnishings, frescoes and some paintings. Today they are restored and visible
The last stop will be the home of the exceptional architect artist, Villino Ida Basile , designed and built between 1903 and the 1904 and took its name from his wife “Ida Negrini di Novara” to whom Basile wanted to dedicate it
This post is also available in: English