Visit Churches

Oratorio di San Filippo Neri – Palermo

Built in 1769 on a project by Venanzio Marvuglia. The building is very emblematic because it introduces, in the middle of the Rococo era, the classical style marked by the work of Vanvitelli and is one of the finest examples of late eighteenth-century artistic culture. The fa├žade, classic and elegant, is enriched by the work of Filippo Pennino, author of the Angel placed on the tympanum, and the stucco statues of the second order.

The plan of the oratory is a hall with a gray marble colonnade and fine white capitals. Of notable interest are: the coffered barrel vault that focuses the gaze on the tribune in which an admirable sculptural frame, of the most cultured Baroque style, encloses the image of the Madonna and Child with St. Philip Neri and the “Glory of Angels” in stucco with a full-length Angel surrounding the painting by Ignazio Marabitti in 1775. The altar, covered in semi-precious stones, houses some relics of St. Feliciano.