Gas cylinder explodes in the Catania area, two injured

(ANSA) – ADRANO, DECEMBER 29 – Two people were injured last night in Adrano (Catania) due to the explosion of a gas cylinder in an apartment on the fourth floor of a building in via Vittorio Emanuele. In the explosion, for reasons yet to be ascertained, the apartment was completely destroyed. The injured are two non-EU citizens, one of whom, aged 27, was transported to the Trauma Center of the Cannizzaro hospital in Catania; he suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on about 40% of the body surface and was treated urgently by the specialists of the Major Burns Center, directed by dr. Rosario Ranno. Last night he was admitted to the intensive care unit directed by Dr. Savino Borracino, where he is still in serious condition, intubated and with a reserved prognosis.

The firefighters of Paternò and Adrano, 118, the State Police, the Carabinieri, the Municipal Police, workers from Enel and the gas company intervened on the site of the explosion. The mayor of Adrano Fabio Mancuso was also on site.

The firefighters completed the rescue operations shortly after 4 this morning. The entire building, which also overlooks Via Archimede, will be subjected to the necessary checks to ascertain its static nature. .