Chinese rocket, the Civil Protection warns Calabria and Sicily: “you will be able to spot fireballs and hear loud roars. The falling fragments can have a size up to a maximum of one and a half meters, weigh a few hundred kilos and reach a depth of one meter upon impact “
The meeting has just ended, convened by the Department of National Civil Protection, for updates on the hypothetical scenarios due to the uncontrolled return to the atmosphere of the Chinese space launcher “Lunga marcia 5B”. Nine are the regions of the Center-South potentially affected: Umbria, Lazio, Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria, Sicily is Sardinia. The forecasts consider three passages on the national territory. The first at 01.05 am, the second at 02.36 am and the third at about 4 am, with a time window of uncertainty of ± 3 hours, therefore, the attention must be high from 1 to 7 hours. Of the three trajectories there are two those that could affect Calabria, the first that could cross the northern part of the region and the third the southern one. It will be a quick pass, lasting a few seconds, considering that the rocket is traveling at 7.8 km per minute. You will be able to spot fireballs and hear loud roars. The falling fragments can have a size up to a maximum of one and a half meters, weigh a few hundred kilos and reach a depth of one meter upon impact. The return forecasts will be subject to continuous updates because they are linked to the behavior of the space vector itself and to the effects that the atmospheric density gives to falling objects, as well as to those related to solar activity. The Civil Protection Calabria will continue to follow all the operations of the return, participating in the technical table composed of Asi, (Italian Space Agency), a member of the office of the Military Advisor of the Presidency of the Council, representatives of the Ministry of the Interior – Department of Fire Brigade, Defense – Coi, Air Force – Isoc and Foreign, Enac, ENAV, Ispra, Special Civil Protection Commission of the Conference of Regions and representatives of the other regions potentially involved. The next meeting is scheduled for 9 pm. Further updates will follow. The activation of the “attention phase” of the Unified Regional Operations Room of the Civil Protection for the “risk of impact of fragments due to uncontrolled re-entry into the atmosphere of the PRC carrier is prepared from 10 pm today, May 8, and until 7 am. CZ5B “. Any reports can be communicated to the number 0961/7673, operating 24 hours a day.
On the basis of the information currently made available by the scientific community, it is possible to provide some useful information to the population so that they responsibly adopt self-protection behaviors:
• it is unlikely that the fragments cause the collapse of buildings, which are therefore to be considered safer than in open places. However, it is advisable to stay away from windows and glass doors;
• the fragments impacting on the roofs of the buildings could cause damage, perforating the roofs themselves and the underlying floors, thus also causing danger for people: therefore, not having precise information on the vulnerability of individual structures, it can be said that the floors are safer lower than buildings;
• inside the buildings the structurally safest places to position oneself in the course of a possible impact are, for masonry buildings, under the vaults of the lower floors and in the doorways inserted in the load-bearing walls (the thicker ones), for the reinforced concrete buildings, near the columns and, in any case, near the walls;
• the smallest fragments are unlikely to be visible from the ground before impact;
• some large fragments may resist impact. It is generally recommended that anyone sighting a fragment, not to touch it, keeping at a distance of at least 20 meters, and must immediately report it to the competent authorities.
This post is also available in: English